Prince William and Princess Kate hit red carpet at BAFTAs as they shrug off Andrew arrest scandal blighting Royals

PRINCE William and Princess Kate have stepped out at the Baftas as they lead the Royal line and attempt to get away from the Andrew arrest scandal.

The couple were seen together on the red carpet ahead of the awards ceremony at a tense moment for the royal family after Andrew’s arrest on Thursday.

Kate was wearing a striking blush gown, while Will appeared in a classic velvet tuxedo.

It comes as last week Andrew was arrested at his home Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate under suspicion of misconduct in public office.

The couple typically attend the glitzy awards ceremony together, as William has been President of BAFTA since 2010.

This year, though, their attendance carries more weight, with the royals determined to continue with public appearances despite the continued fallout over disgraced Andrew’s association with Jeffrey Epstein.

GAG ALERT

Bafta on alert for Andrew ‘jokes’ as William & Kate expected to attend awards do

YARDS AWAY

Kate & Wills ‘in Sandringham with kids for half-term when cops arrested Andrew’

Police were snapped searching the former Prince’s homes on the Estate, with The Observer reporting today the King had given police access to all files on Andrew kept at Buckingham Palace.

Kate and Will appeared alongside Hollywood celebrities attending the prestigious awards, with Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Hudson and Jessie Buckley among the stars nominated.

Public relations and crisis consultant Mark Borkowski said Kate and Will bear the weight of the future of the royal family amid Andrew’s downfall. 

“The heavy weight of this burden on the royal family’s reputation lies with William and Kate and what they’re going to do,” he said.

Their appearance comes despite Bafta bosses’ fears the Andrew scandal could be referenced during the ceremony, which is to be hosted by Scottish actor, and Traitors US host, Alan Cummings.

A source told The Sun: “Alan clearly has opinions on the monarchy.

Disgraced Andree Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on ThursdayCredit: Getty
Police officers stand outside Sandringham Estate, as Andrew was arrestedCredit: Reuters

“Bafta bosses want to keep the attention on the films and the winners.

“Any mention of Andrew’s arrest would take away from the awards. There’s concern about any attempt at humour over what’s happened to Andrew.

“It would be even more awkward if William and Kate were sitting in the audience.”

Alan announced in 2023 that he had handed back his OBE after the Queen’s death – citing the “toxicity of empire”.

A source said Bafta does not tell winners what to say in their speeches but asks recipients to keep it brief for time constraints.

Despite the momentous events of the last week, as the backlash against Andrew’s involvement with disgraced financier Epstein reached its peak, the Royals have stuck to their keep calm and carry on attitude.

Queen Camilla was seen just hours after her brother-in-law’s shock arrest to meet musicians at the Sinfonia Smith Square concert hall in London.

King Charles followed suit as he steadfastly continued with his royal duties to appear on the front row of the opening show at London Fashion Week on Thursday.

Princess Kate put on a brave smile during England’s Six Nations match yesterdayCredit: PA
King Charles appeared at London Fashion week on the day his brother was arrestedCredit: Reuters

Meanwhile, Kate did her part for the firm when she stepped out with a beaming smile at the Six Nations match between England and Ireland yesterday.

She put on a brave face to cheer on the boys in an England Rugby scarf, despite the side coming up short 21-42 to Ireland.

Kate, a Patron of the Rugby Football Union and Rugby Football League, was snapped in high spirits as she spoke to injured player Fin Baxter and RFU President Deborah Griffin in the stands before kick off.

Her uncle-in-law Andrew was detained on his 66th birthday on suspicion of misconduct in public office as plain clothes cops were seen raiding his new Sandringham home on Thursday.

He spent 11 hours in custody following allegations he shared sensitive information with Epstein during his time as the UK’s trade envoy – and was later snapped in the back of a car leaving Aylsham police station.

King Charles released a statement on Thursday following his brother’s arrest in which he expressed his “deepest concern” about the allegations, and stressed “the law must take its course”.

Kate and William are understood to support the King’s statement on Andrew’s arrest following a raft of revelations in the Epstein files.

Prince William and Princess Kate are leading the fight to protect the family’s reputationCredit: Getty

Scroll to Top