Ex-soldier who murdered mum, 27, with meat cleaver before dismembering her body set to be released from jail early

AN ex-soldier who brutally murdered a mum-of-three with a meat cleaver in 2004 is set to be released early from prison.

Stephen Wynne killed 27-year-old Chantel Taylor by viciously striking her in the neck at his flat in Birkenhead, Merseyside.

Chantel Taylor was brutally murdered in 2004Credit: BBC
Killer Stephen Wynne used a saw to dismember Ms Taylor’s bodyCredit: Merseyside Police

The sick killer then used a saw to dismember her body, which has still never been found, almost 22 years later.

Wynne, who was 26 at the time of the murder, later stashed Chantel’s remains in her own loft before moving them a few days later into a nearby woods and the local tip.

Her family were forced to hold a funeral with just traces of her DNA from the murder scene.

Wynne was only caught by cops after he attempted to set fire to a mosque in a twisted act of “revenge” for the July 7 London bombings in 2005.

FAMILY HORROR

Jill Biden’s ex-husband pleads not guilty to murder of wife

KILLER TALKS

Bali ‘Suitcase Killer’ who murdered girlfriend’s socialite mum FREED from jail

When police arrested him over the arson plot, detectives searching his home uncovered handwritten notes referencing a woman’s death, sparking fears he may have been linked to Chantel’s murder.

The ex-soldier was sentenced to life behind bars in 2006 after pleading guilty to murder.

Wynne was originally sentenced to life with a minimum term of 21 years but this was reduced to 18 on appeal.

A summary of Wynne’s parole hearing reported: “In hearing Mr Wynne’s evidence at the hearing, the panel considered his remorse for his offending and the pain he had caused to the victim’s family to be genuine.

“The panel noted that he had taken responsibility for his offending and now does not seek to minimise or justify his actions.

“The psychologist witness who had assessed Mr Wynne said that there had been an absence of violence for a very long time and also considered the risk of violent extremism to be low.

Chantel’s mum, Jean Taylor, has long campaigned to have her daughter’s killer kept behind barsCredit: ITV

“The panel heard from the professional witnesses that Mr Wynne had continued to make positive progress since moving to an open prison, that he was motivated to succeed on release and that he had long term goals.”

Under strict licence rules following his release, Wynne must live at an approved address, display good behaviour, declare any new relationships and regularly report to supervisors.

He is also subject to drug tests, must reveal any vehicles he uses and will be monitored with an electronic tag.

Ms Taylor’s mother, Jean Taylor, has previously told of the “deep distress and devastation” felt by her family over the murder.

She has campaigned for years to ensure her daughter’s killer remains locked up.

Last year she told reporters: “I’m in my 70s and I’ve not been allowed to have my middle age. I’m not allowed to live my old age as a normal 70-odd-year-old lady should be able to.

“Stephen Wynne stopped that and broke my family. He broke my family and left three children who were not brought up with their mother.”

Scroll to Top